Today we are going to dive head first into:
Meal Planning 101
You may ask what sets The Nifty Thrifty Lady's approach apart from the other 1000.... Blogs, books, and systems. Well, in all honestly nothing. I do not have a quick fix to planning meals but I do have a system that I have been using for 4 years and these are the benefits:
- Stay on a $240.00/month grocery budget for a family of 4
- Limit household food waste
- Eat healthy
- Not dread meal times and be prepared
- Entertain friends and family on the same budget
Spend some quality time with your family and cook books
- Create a Family Staples List: One night at dinner ask everyone to share their favorite meals/snacks. Jot them down so you can create a Family Staples List Knowing what your family likes to eat and doesn't like to eat will cut down on unnecessary food purchases and make meal planning faster.
- Find Inspiration: After you have figured out what your family likes grab your favorite cook books (pinterest board or website) and get inspired! CONFESSION: I (may) hoard cookbooks! I love cooking and everyone knows. Friends and Family randomly pick me up a new one here or there and I have turned into a "problem". Planning TIP: I like to pick one cookbook, mark the recipes I know my family would like or I could make for a special occasion and work through it. The recipes I like go in a binder and then I pass along the whole cookbook.
- Try New Things, But not TOO Many. Why? Many new recipes have ingredients that I don't always have on hand. That means either leaving them out (which can sometimes be just fine!) or buying them. Buying a bunch of new ingredients at once is a budgeting NO-NO! Stick to 2-4 new ingredients a month!
Creating your meal plan
- Inventory list's
- Meal Planning layout
- Family Staples
- Favorite Recipes
- Colored Pens/pencils
- Family Calendar
- Inventory list: These are a quick way to reference what you have on hand without getting up every 5 seconds to look
- Meal Planning Layout: I plan monthly and use a basic word calendar. You can choose to plan monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly and with whatever layout you like. There are some great apps and Pinterest is again flooded with free printables! As long as you are planning and 95% sticking to that plan that is all that matters.
- Family Staples: This list will be the meat of your planning so it is important to have completed
- Favorite Recipes: It is so much easier to meal plan when you have your favorite recipes with you and are not searching hi and low for them!
- Colored Pens/pencils: Yes I am old school and I color code my meal plan. You can do the same on many apps or you can choose a layout that breaks up breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Family Calendar: Knowing your families schedule plays a HUGE part in meal planning. If you have to pick up the kids, run home to change, and spend the evening at multiple practices you are NOT going to be cooking in the spare 15 minutes you have. BUT you can warm up leftovers from the larger meal you prepared the night before or dish out a bowl of soup from the crockpot add some fruit, bread, and have dinner at home!
My Personal Process
- Mark off any special events or appt. that may interrupt a meal time. The boxed number denotes this on the calendar below.
- Plan out all your breakfasts for the month
- Plan all of your lunches
- Plan all of your dinners including any freezer meals you would like to make to freeze
- Plan your Snacks for the month
- We use themes to help narrow down the thought processes and this helps me know how much meat I use in a month for stocking up.
- I color code so it is easier for me to focus on each meal at a time.
- I like to highlight the day we events and mark what the event is so I can quickly remind myself when planning a meal
- We like to have leftovers once a week this helps to not waste food. If we don't have any leftovers we usually have grilled cheese or homemade pizza.
- Planning my snacks out for the month is important. Sometime I get in a rut and just want to buy chips and soda. I prepare all my weekly snacks on Monday's so this task is done and I can focus on more important things like this post.
|Hoover to Pin!|
This post is linked up at